If you are no longer with your child’s other parent, then you have to learn how to co-parent from different households. This can be challenging, but it is made even more difficult when the other parent moves out of California and you have to co-parent from different states. While this is a less than ideal situation, you must learn how to deal with it and make the situation the best possible for your child.

Psychology Today explains that if a parent must move to a different state, it is best to do so when the child is three years old or older. At three, your child should be able to handle the situation. Under age three, your child may not be able to adjust as well and may have more difficulties with the new arrangement.

You also have to do your part. While you are not the one who moved, you still have to work with your child’s other parent to ensure your child is not negatively impacted by the move. This means being more flexible, communicating more often and being agreeable to changes in your parenting plan. You may have to get creative and find other ways to ensure your child has regular contact with the other parent. For example, you may look into getting your child a cell phone to use for phone calls or video chatting with the other parent. Older children may also like to have that instant connection, so they can text their other parent often.

Above all, you should always keep your children first. Make sure you are thinking of their needs and not your own. It may be hard to deal with the new situation. You may have to handle more of the parenting duties than before, but your ultimate goal needs to be keeping your children connected with the other parent while also providing a stable environment for your children to live in. This information is for education and is not legal advice.